Rep. Bishop pulled out all the stops to help a Hamptons hedge fund investor stage a fireworks show — then hit him up for a big campaign donation.
Almost immediately after the investor, Eric Semler, obtained the necessary permits to stage a fireworks show in an environmentally fragile area during his son’s bar mitzvah, Rep. Bishop’s campaign solicited a donation from him. Rep. Bishop’s campaign also appears to have backdated the donations in an attempt to skirt federal contribution limits. The House Ethics Committee is investigating Rep. Bishop, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York and the FBI have made inquiries.
- Six-term member of Congress representing New York’s 1st district
- Under investigation by the House Ethics Committee for accepting campaign donations tied to an official action; also under investigation by the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York and the FBI
- Previously named to CREW’s Most Corrupt in 2012
- One of four members of Congress from New York named to CREW’s Most Corrupt
- Appeared in CREW’s Family Affair exposé