Rep. Buchanan’s claim he knew nothing about thousands of dollars in illegal contributions propping up his campaign is laughable — except to federal investigators.
Since 2010, 11 individuals and corporations tied to Rep. Buchanan have been fined for illegal conduit contributions to his campaign. One of Rep. Buchanan’s former business partners said the congressman pressured him to sign a false affidavit to cover up his role in the scheme. Rep. Buchanan also lied on his financial disclosure forms for years.
- Four-term member of Congress representing Florida’s 16th district
- Collected thousands of dollars in illegal conduit contributions from employees of his car dealerships; under investigation by the House Ethics Committee for pressuring a former business partner to sign a false affidavit to cover up Rep. Buchanan’s role in the scheme
- Lied about his income on his financial disclosure forms; accused of tax evasion and fraud
- Previously named to CREW’s Most Corrupt in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012
- Appeared in CREW’s Family Affair exposé